By Danny Choo, Manager, Mindshare NA
Here are the panels I attended during Advertising Week, and the main points that you need to know:
Sight, Sound and Mobile: Video Marketing in the Digital Era
- Carolyn Everson mentioned that 532% growth in mobile/tablet in the last 2 years
- As well, she mentioned that kids who are growing up today would have a hard time understanding the paper product world. Her kids for example only use their index fingers to turn the page of a book as if it were a tablet. As well, most kids who turn 13 this year would have gotten a smart phone as their very first phone, even before a land line.
- One interesting fact Carolyn presented was that the smarts phones of today, have more processing powers than the computers used to land man on the moon.
I am My Own Brand: A People Centric Approach to Design and Marketing
- Jeremy Grubaugh started the presentation with an inside look at how Microsoft fosters original thinking through the use of “the Garage”. A physical work space that employees can work to create and bring to life ideas
- He showed us a concept model of a wearable/flying go pro cam. The idea is that you wear this flight-capable miniaturize camera like a wrist watch and if you come across a picture opportunity, you would fling this camera off your wrist and it would take flight and snap pictures, and eventually come back towards you. It seems very futuristic, but work is being done to bring this to life.
- CEO of The Ave Venice, Nick Romero, shared with the audience how he took one simple idea of customizable shoes and turned it into a business model that helped him build the empire he has today
Creating Video Content for How it’s Consumed
- Jonathan Perelman from Buzzfeed shared an interesting point which pinned TV against mobile video. TV as a whole must aim to hit as much of a target as it can when on air, whereas mobile, you can concentrate on a small niche audience and rely on them to help spread the word and make it viral.
- 3 videos were shown which really caught the audience’s attention.
- Dear Kitten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Sn91t1V4g
- High School: Movies vs. IRK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lNYfZnp758
- The Time you have (In JellyBeans): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOksW_NabEk
- It was interesting to see that the last video, Jellybeans, had mixed emotions. Some were sad while other were inspired. I guess it all depends on your outlook in life.